Sunday, July 31, 2011

I will lift up my hands and my eyes to the heavens.

The ways we worship God are as infinite in number and unique in nature as each wave that curls over the last.  The strength of the tide or the storm is increased by the shortening of the delay.  One wave practically on top of the last - what incredible intimidation with amazement we feel as we stand on the shore!

Our worship has the static energy to create the same weather pattern.  Kinetic worship is that triumphant release of all the inspiration we have found and desire to give back to the Giver of all inspiration.  The longer we live in each day on earth without praising its Creator, the more static our worship remains.  The inspiration scatters and the practice is left off our day planner. 

All personalities have the potential to enter into divine worship in a number of ways.  As I stand in worship in the form of singing, my praise tends to splatter onto a canvas.  My spirit often takes the form of a paintbrush or a camera, and the imagery resonates long after the singing is over.  I am so thankful that God speaks beyond the written word!

The same phenomenon happens when I read the Scriptures.  This passage comes from Romans 8 (incidentally one of my favorite chapters for a number of reasons)...

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
 26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. 

Imagine yourself at the point of salvation, when you first believed that Truth was not only real but that you could know it!  At that moment when your spirit was 'redeemed' it was sealed.  It's as though the spiritual layer of the human essence was originally pointing toward the earth.  And at the point of salvation, it is peeled from the toe upward toward heaven remaining connected.  And our spirit now ACHES  for the time when the body will also be redeemed.  When it will be free from pain, cancer, aging, balding, wrinkling.  It will be free to run without ever tiring and free to stand in awe without buckling at the knees.    The spirit is willing, but the flesh is still weak. 

On my giant canvas, I see a vivid picture of my spirit able to reach from the loving grasp of Christ all the way down to my physical body planted on the church floor.  And I see the Holy Spirit both pleading my case in heaven while also whispering to me the sweetest prayers that I may then repeat to God.  The hand of my spirit is holding my physical hand.  And as I lift my hands, it reminds me that I am already connected to Christ.  It lifts me in a way no piece of human art work can portray..

1 comment: