Sunday, February 10, 2013

I know how to abound!

As vivid an imagination as I like to think I possess, I am unable find the proper words to describe the type of crazy person I may have become this week.  So here are a couple metaphors to assist:

1. If my job security had been a Disney character, it would've been Aladdin's carpet [being pulled out from under me].
2. If the challenge of expediting college transcripts was a UNICEF World Heritage Site, it would be comparable to [running full speed toward] the Great Wall of China.
3. If my financial security was a comic strip, it would've been that scene in Peanuts where Linus is bopping along with his blue blankie, sucking his thumb.  Snoopy snatches the end of the it and starts running around in circles.  Linus is just holding on to blankie for dear life, finding himself airborne at times.

What my former church-ianity self may have prayed, perhaps after having a little hiccup in "The Plan" would've sounded similar to this:
"Dear Jesus (or journal - those words may have been interchangeable back then), Thy will be done here as in heaven.  Zzz.. Lord, I pray that BlahBlah would be used for your purposes.  Help me to be kind as You are kind, Lord.  Zzz.. And please forgive me for Blah, Blah, and Blah.."
I have found myself at a new level of friendship with my Savior in recent years.  Here is the raw, partially edited conversation I have been having with Him as of late:
"God, I'm a crazy person.  That's no secret.  Messes don't come much hotter than this.  I believe you love me, and right now, I'm gonna really need you to remind me how that is enough when I can't seem to get a single win on earth.  I really don't like myself for the way I presently feel about my boss (and whoever that heinous person is in the GWU Registrar's office who is clearly holding my transcripts hostage).  The fact that I haven't found their Achilles heel is bugging the crap out of me.  And now please forgive me for all the vengeful plots I have devised for them both.  And for calling someone heinous.  That was rude, I guess.  Help me to truly love them like you love them, because right now, I think they both deserve a 10 year prison sentence with possible parole only after 6 months in an orange jumpsuit.  I am determined to keep my trust in You because clearly I am not in a place where I can make any sort of good judgment call on my own."
Not gonna lie.  I feel a little uneasy letting people in on my nutjob prayer with God.  I usually ramble a little more in it too, but I spared my audience.  No one was supposed to know any of that!  But I believe that if we as believers are called to be holy, we cannot breeze over the parts of Scripture that talk about confessing our sins one to another.  And I am so thankful for the friends who have been texting me, emailing me, praying for me, reminding me that God is so much bigger than this stupid crap.  Sending me encouraging Scripture.  Reminding me how much more interesting my book of memoirs will be when I am old. 

For them, I write today to encourage those who read this to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading to build up another.  Because in this messy week of uncertainty, God showed me even more truth about His providence.  I mean, yeah, I could've been able to go about business as usual.  Live life on the grid.  But where's the fun in that?  So many people who allowed God to use them for His glory were reaching out to make sure I didn't end up in a straight jacket.  Those are some stellar friends.  I even have some of the layout of a story (short or novel, depending on my attention span) that I want to now write.  Had I been bogged down with all that 'job stuff,' my creative flow would've been utterly stifled ;) 

So as Paul described in his letter to the Philippians, I am learning to THRIVE in the what-on-earth-is-going-on times in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment