Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Love is Patient

I was sitting in a worship service tonight at American University, and I am so thankful to God for guiding me to this particular event.  I usually work on Tuesdays, and by the time I get home, I am so exhausted that all I want to do is binge fridge-side and then pass out.  Occasionally, I will grab a couple items from the refrigerator and partake over the adjacent counter-space.  But the plate concept is far too much prep-work by the time I get home from a 12-13h shift.  Like a gas tank on E.  But I digress.

So tonight was the study of God's patience.  One of the first passages was found in Luke 22 - tracking with Peter through his enthusiasm as a disciple of Jesus and then finding himself at the point of denying he even knows the guy.  Jesus, all the while, is praying for Simon Peter, patiently smoothing out his sharp edges.

Agape love encompasses patience, and the Holy Spirit guides us through the Word of God that we may know Him.  He delights in us from the beginning, dirty and shameful, and by His patience, He receives the glory as we are transformed to His likeness.

Jesus gave Simon the name Peter (petra) during His ministry time.  Peter probably did not understand all that this name would mean until years after Jesus has ascended to heaven.  Peter, meaning rock, was not just to describe his brawny arms and masculine beard, which I am 99% sure he had.  God knew that even after all the mayhem that Simon Peter caused, he would still be the rock on top of which our church was built.  Through all the trials that Jesus endured for Peter, his patience was rewarded with start of the church, the bride!

No comments:

Post a Comment