Thursday, January 31, 2013

Science Without Wonder?

A book was placed in my hand several years back.  I cannot remember where I received it or who gave it to me, and it remained in my possession, even after multiple relocations.  I donate books every time I pack because of their weight.  Yet somehow, this book survived, and I have finally made the conscious decision to read it. 

The book is titled Why I Believe in a Personal God by former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey.  I do not agree with many of the positions he held as a church leader, but I am so taken by his approach to the discussion of God's existence and to what end He reaches out to us.  May I never again shy away from the hard questions of existence. 

The third chapter plunges into the realities of the universe in which we all live. 
1. What observations may we make?
2. From where did it originate? 
3. If we acknowledge that there is order in the universe, what else may we surmise?
4. And most importantly, why did I NOT pay more attention in high school?  (It talked about the laws of thermodynamics, and I had to wikipedia what they word meant.  And I still don't think I really understand.  Embarrassing)

If Christians ignore any discussion of science and existence, what will we begin to believe about our place in the universe?  Where does the wonder and splendor lay in a reality that happened by chance?  The author here says, "Science without wonder leads to the impoverishment of the human spirit." 

Do God and science align?  Princeton physicist Professor Freeman Dyson states:
"I do feel like an alien in the universe.  The more I study the details of its architecture the more evidence I find that the universe in some sense must have known that we were coming."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment