Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Prayer Anew

I just got home from Singapore on Saturday night.  My body still hates me for the torment of 11 time zones.  But... being up at 4:40 this morning, the only other soul awake at this hour is God.

O satisfy us in the morning with Your loving kindness,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. (Psalm 90:14)

In some form or another, I try to pray the Lord's Prayer every morning.  I modernize the language a little and speak slowly - to make sure I pay attention to what I am saying.  In no way do I ever want my prayers to be mindless droning before the Creator of the Universe.  (distant second is when I pledge allegiance to the US flag and my mind is wandering toward lunch - awkward).

The parts in the prayer about "Thy will be done" are pretty easy to say with emphasis.  I mean, yeah, of course that's the goal.  I realize that turning over my s***storm of a life to an omniscient God is a pretty good idea.  And also the part about "daily bread" - uh huh uh huh, I want that too.  "Lead me not into temptation" - please.  I don't need any more of that.

The part that has been made new to me as of late is the closing statement.  I have always treated it as I do the closing remarks of a letter.  Sincerely.  Yours Truly.  Affectionately Yours.  KIT.  xoxo.  Meaning that I ignored it.  But wow, if I pray those last 3 descriptive nouns with a higher level of intentionality, my mind is blown.  CS Lewis said it pretty well:

"I don't pray to change God.  I pray to God because it changes me."

Yours is the Kingdom - meaning that it was God who established reign before the prince of darkness, and He will reign supreme through eternity

Yours is the Power - anything that God calls me to accomplish must be done by His strength

Yours is the Glory - because ultimately, in living in His Kingdom and acting by His Power are for His directives to be proclaimed.  His Word.  His Name. His Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment