Sunday, January 6, 2013

Juliet's question revisited

Tonight's church service has my brain in a bit of a frenzy.  This post may contain more questions than statements.  I'm not ok with that, but I believe it's where I will have to start to eventually answer the questions.

Our campus pastor was speaking about the magnificence of God.  He used the vast nature of the universe to contrast the finite nature of man.  Ultimately, it was to highlight just how we should humbly accept our connection to God.  It's really a wonder He invests in humans.  We're small.. We die..We really are pretty insignificant insofar as size and longevity are concerned.

Stars on the other hand.  Stars.  Wow.  Apparently, the latest science believes there to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 sextillion stars in the known universe.  That's 1 seven and 22 zeros.  And stars are not small creations.  I mean, really.  The sun - star.  If I was a Hollywood celebrity, I would feel a little ridiculous, parading around, being called a star.  My record goes platinum.  Wonderful.  The sun can burn at my retinas from 93 million miles away.  Don't bother googling that distance.  I got this.

Now here is where my ADD took me on a ma...gical journey in my seat.  Those 70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars all have names.  Isaiah 40:26 tells us that God brings them out one at a time and calls them each by name.  And verse 12 tells us that all those named stars fit within the span of His hand.  My mind was blown just now.  But now, this question remains.  Why is it even necessary to name them?  To name anything?

So, my search begins.  But this one thing I know: Capulets, Montagues, Renshaws - He know our names as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment