Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All my love is yours

"I love thee, Lord, but with no love of mine,
For I have none to give;
I love thee, Lord; but all the love is thine,
For by thy love I live.
I am as nothing, and rejoice to be
Emptied, and lost, and swallowed up in thee."

Today's blog is a half thought.  I worried I would forget to share what God had been teaching me if I waited until I had a 'full-circle' message.  Here it is in its brevity.

Lately, I have been searching for inspiration to write, and I will not pretend that it's been an easy expedition.  I challenge anyone to find a passage in the Bible that promises to make you feel good if you obey.  Definitely wasn't written by Paul or Stephen.

Today, I was reading Charles Spurgeon's words, and it served as a great reminder of the origin and sustenance of love.  In the same way I receive the love of Christ, I am not able to return my own love.  Nor am I able to love another with any love that originated in me.  Because I don't have any.  

In high school, in between times I was thinking about what was for lunch or obsessing about some good-looking boy, I managed to learn a little physical science.  We have heat.  The temperature of the air, the sea, or an object is dependent upon the presence of heat.  Nothing on earth can create its own heat.  All heat originates from the sun.  I am warm because I am filled with the sun's heat.  Just the same, the northernmost and southernmost parts of the earth are frozen for their lack of exposure to it.

The amount of love I am able to give is contingent upon the amount I have exposed myself to receive.  I am waiting to come across the verse in the Bible that talks about receiving the attention span of Christ.  Now that...

No comments:

Post a Comment