Monday, May 2, 2011

He is the Wonderful Counselor

"Let's talk about you, all about you."  I cannot think of many people in life who would not be inwardly thrilled to hear this.  Some may feel awkward momentarily.  But when they realize this statement was meant with no ill intent, they would probably ease up as well.

Fact is, it excites us when someone takes an interest in the happenings of our life.  When we realize someone wants to invest in us, it's a joyful feeling.  I don't know many people who would not benefit from 60 minutes on a therapist's couch (and that's not saying I think the world is crazy).  I just know the nature of man.  I will say this though, as a nurse, I have found that the most brilliant minds often have already been diagnosed with mental illness.  Their brilliance may never be realized with that in their medical history.

God desires to pour into each of our lives.  Commandments from God were not written down because He is a sadist.  Think about the 10 Commandments, the love commands (love God, love your neighbor), the command to be fruitful and multiply..  Hardly intended to ruin lives.  Yet why is this so offensive to so many?

I recently wrote a letter to the president of the ACLU.  It wasn't a piece of hate mail or anything like that.  I offered my congratulations on rising to such a high place and commended her for her courage.  And then I told her about God.  How God is a loving God, desiring to invest in our individual lives.  How the 10 Commandments were meant to keep the peace, not create a battleground.  I finished it with this: If the world could know all this about the nature of God, those words in the 10 Commandments wouldn't be so offensive.  Then, I offered my assistance if she needed anything from me (not that I am really in a position to help unless she needs help controlling her blood pressure or something!)

God is the ultimate 1:1 help.  He sits patiently and listen to our cries and holds His children.  And He doesn't stop there.  The humanist approach to psychiatry/psychology almost forbids giving "advice" to patients.  "How does that make you feel?"  God steps in because He knows His children need Him. We need an intervention, not just a good listener.  And He is able to be both.

He does this because He can.  And He does this because He loves us.  All of us.  He is outside of time; so He's not going to tell you that your time is up and to please schedule next week's appointment with the receptionist.  He is the Wonderful Counselor.. mighty God... everlasting Father..Prince of peace..  (Isaiah 9:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment