Thursday, April 21, 2011

How to make anything a spiritual metaphor

I just came home from a run.  I don't have asthma, but...

I was thrilled to have the coffee all ready for me upon my return.  Latest and greatest according to Pretentious Coffee Drinkers:  add cocoa powder to the coffee.  Some say that's a mocha, [and they would be correct].

Reaching in the refrigerator to acquire the milk to complement my Honey Nut Cheerios, I instinctively retrieve a bottle of Bud Light Golden Wheat instead.  Slightly embarrassed, I quickly make the exchange before Jordan (the dog) sees my fumble. 

I then begin to think metaphorically about a spriritual life application.  What's the message behind all this?  I create a list to stay organized, making sure to indent at the appropriate places.  Arrows thrown here and there.  You can even let the arrow refer back to the original statement.  It's allowed.  I highly recommend it to all you simple folk who see things as coincidences, without correlation.  Those ideas don't exist in my world.

What if...

1. The beer represents the old life.  Wake up, find yourself craving the dog that bit you.  Wondering if it would taste good over oatmeal.  Would it satisfy my grain requirements for the day? 
2. The milk is a step in the right direction.  Healthful food.  It's stood the test of time, being paired with Cheerios since General Mills and his men survived the winter with the supplication of a single "O".  It's the greatest history lesson never learned.
<WAIT, milk?  Doesn't the NT refer to milk as something for spiritual babies?  I am NOT a mere babe.  I'm a grown woman. 
3. To be a real spiritual giant, you HAVE to eat beef at every meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment