Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Worthy

I can remember my thoughts about moving to South Florida back in 2005.  Palm Beach is a high fashion region with a lot of old money.  Celebrities, politicians, and old money millionaires and billionaires have these gigantic homes all throughout the island (though they seldom even come to reside in them).  Flagler Drive (named for Henry Flagler) runs along the sea wall and intercoastal waterway.  The island's famous shopping street boasts all the famous names in the fashion industry, and it can be a bit overwhelming to walk down the street; so I just occasionally included it in my running route.  Just to give you an idea: the local Palm Beachers protested the introduction of a Starbucks onto the island because they were fearful of all the riff-raff it would invite.  And my new school was less than 2 miles away.  I didn't trust myself not to be consumed by my own thoughts of "have and have not".

In all the external beauty of perfectly manicured lawns and symmetrical palm trees, God still whispers to His people, calling them to a higher purpose.  Sitting there with my big sunglasses and new spring season sundress, reading my Bible, I began to see just how easy it is for something else to take the place of God.  The dress wasn't the problem.  It's just fabric.  It was my cold heart in the middle of the 90 degree heat.  Even 100% humidity couldn't soften a spiritual stone.

The same God who has all authority to tell those palms to grow high into the cloudless sky, to set one salty wave on top of the next, to pass the time on the clock at Tiffany's - He also has the power to tear down all these things if He so chooses.  Driving back to Palm Beach County after Hurricane Wilma, seeing all the palm fronds laying in the street, the street signs hanging diagonally, it was a lesson in the fleeting nature of "things".  If we cling too tightly to the creation, the Creator often needs to remind us who and what is ultimately worthy.

God is worthy of all our praise, dear friends.  Praise for his new mercies every day, for the beauty of His creation, for allowing us to take part in His purpose here on earth.  One day shortly after Wilma, I decided to make something of the disaster.  So I picked up a few pieces of the debris on my run.  Now, on my wall back in Florida, there still hang two palm fronds with these words of encouragement: Though sorrow lasts for the night - His joy comes in the morning!

So now when I can get back to Palm Beach island, and walk down Worth Avenue again (even the name asks you to determine who/what is worthy), I can now appreciate the beauty we can make in this short life while also praising the One who allows us.  Because He loves us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment